I am the soup king. All evidence is on my Instagram.
Winter time is by far the best time for soup creations. Using some seasonal ingredients is always fun. Here we have roasted butternut squash and apple soup! Roasting the squash before incorporating it the soup will concentrate the flavors and make a much more smooth consistency.
The apples and sage combine to make a well rounded soup. I love meat, so I added some. If you don’t and want to keep this a veggie soup only, then don’t. The sausage is definitely not critical here but it is a nice addition to the butternut squash and apple soup. Read on for the recipe and get to making it.
This soup is insanely satisfying, especially if it is cold/rainy/snowy out. Enjoy before the squash season is over! Hope you like it.
- 1 butternut squash
- 1/2 pound sausage
- 10 leaves sage
- 1/2 can coconut milk
- 2 quarts chicken bone broth
- 3 tablespoons ghee or butter
- 1 onion
- 1 red apple
- 1 green apple
- 3 slices bacon
- Cut squash in half and scoop out the seeds. Place face down on baking sheet and bake at 400 F for roughly an hour.
- Dice apples and onions and cook together with 5 leaves sage. Cook down on low with the ghee or butter.
- Combine squash, onion and apple mix and blend on high. As always, we recommend BlendTec blenders for this.
- Cook bacon and sausage on low until done.
- Add sausage, blend mixture, bone broth and coconut milk and mix. Chiffonade the rest of the sage and add.
- Top with apple slices, sage, bacon, or whatever else you want and serve!
by Anthony Gustin