Want to see what other crazy drinks I come up with? Follow me on Instagram!
Here is a little twist on the traditional mojito, replacing the sugar with blackberries and rum with tequila. Does it make it a paleo mojito? Well, kind of. Tequila is one of the only grain-free liquors – totally paleo(ish)! The blackberries, lime and mint make this a tasty and refreshing option for those of us lucky to have warm weather already!
No, I don’t think drinking is healthy, but let’s be realistic here. People still drink. Are there ways to do optimize it? Of course. This is a far better alternative to all those cervezas (tons of gluten) or margaritas (tons of sugar) that are usually downed on this festive holiday. The vitamin C in the lime will help with some of the liver detox that is going to need to happen with the drink and as with most clear liquors, the tequila will be as “low toxin” as you can get. Citrus is also known to decrease insulin response (good for leveling out the spike from the alcohol). Check out this paleo mojito recipe to have a healthier option than your traditional sugary mojito!
If you made this, make sure to tag on me on social media using @dranthonygustin and hashtag #cooklikeag so I can see what you’re working with.
- 1 1/2 ounces tequila
- 1 handful fresh blackberries
- 4 fresh mint leaves
- 8 ounces soda water
- juice of 1/2 lime
- 1 handful ice
- Squeeze half to whole lime into glass. This completely depends on taste. As mentioned above, the vitamin C in the lime can go hand in hand with detoxifying your liver while you're drinking. Not a bad addition!
- Combine the blackberries, a bit of the rind of the lime you just squeezed, and the mint and muddle in the glass.
- Add ice to the top, fill with desired amount of tequila, then top with soda water. Mix with spoon to make it look pretty.
- Not an extremely necessary step, but if you are hosting it is a nice touch. Garnish with your choice of blackberries, fresh mint leaves or slices of lime.
by Anthony Gustin